Shawn Lane Really Does Suck
Nobody
2003-09-21 13:31:56 UTC
Wow...thought he was good, but not really...what's the big deal, eh?
--
Jason
http://www.geocities.com/nobody_upstairs
Jack A. Zucker
2003-09-22 11:41:10 UTC
Jason,

Are you trolling or serious about this?

Shawn Lane is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard. He's one of the
few cats who could hang with Holdsworth, Vai and Gambale in terms of
musicality, technique, etc.

His playing is so good it's mind-boggling. What have you heard of him? Have
you heard any of the recordings he's done with Hellborg or the earlier, self
produced CD where he plays all the instruments?!?

Seriously, the dude could probably sit in with anyone, playing any genre and
come away with respect.

Jaz
Atlas
2003-09-22 13:56:46 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:41:10 GMT, "Jack A. Zucker"
Post by Jack A. Zucker
Jason,
Are you trolling or serious about this?
Shawn Lane is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard. He's one of the
few cats who could hang with Holdsworth, Vai and Gambale in terms of
musicality, technique, etc.
His playing is so good it's mind-boggling. What have you heard of him? Have
you heard any of the recordings he's done with Hellborg or the earlier, self
produced CD where he plays all the instruments?!?
Seriously, the dude could probably sit in with anyone, playing any genre and
come away with respect.
Yep, he's trolling. Polfus knows that I really dig Shawn's
music...so he's simply trying to push a button.

Sad, innit?

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Nobody
2003-09-22 14:50:24 UTC
Post by Atlas
Yep, he's trolling. Polfus
Ooops...there you go again doing that thing you do.
Atlas
2003-09-22 22:43:49 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:50:24 GMT, "Nobody"
Post by Nobody
Ooops...there you go again doing that thing you do.
LOL! No, Polfus. That's called projection.

Do the world a favor, and go stick your head in a microwave.

Atlas
NJD
2003-09-22 13:05:15 UTC
In article <qdBbb.1359$qK1.1473011
@news2.news.adelphia.net>, ***@jackzucker.com says...
Post by Jack A. Zucker
Jason,
Are you trolling or serious about this? <snip>
He was kidding, Jack.
--
Nick
"There are not more than five musical notes, yet the
http://www.ironia.net My last band
Nobody
Jack A. Zucker
2003-09-22 20:27:38 UTC
Post by Jack A. Zucker
Jason,
Are you trolling or serious about this? <snip>
He was kidding, Jack.
Regardless,

He should realize that Shawn Lane may read this post or someone may tell him
about it. Something like that is hurtful to a cat who's put so much of his
life into woodshedding.

I made a negative comment about a certain guitarist a few years back and
when the guy came to town, he asked folks if they knew me and that he was
"lookin' for me! My comment wasn't anything like this one, either...

Be careful what you say about guys in these groups! :-)

Jaz
NJD
2003-09-22 21:02:09 UTC
In article <_WIbb.1452$qK1.1574543
Post by Jack A. Zucker
Be careful what you say about guys in these groups! :-)
Well I certainly agree with that. In fact, I don't
think it's wise to ever criticize other musicians unless
they're doing something really unethical.

Believe it or not, but I think Jason was actually paying
Lane a compliment by picking him as representative of
someone whose playing he perceives to be unassailable.
I think that was his tongue-in-cheek point anyway.

Could be wrong.
Don't forget to bring a TOWEL!
2003-09-22 21:48:23 UTC
Post by NJD
Believe it or not, but I think Jason was actually paying
Lane a compliment by picking him as representative of
someone whose playing he perceives to be unassailable.
I think that was his tongue-in-cheek point anyway.
I thought he was just lonely, again. "How's your
rash, RMMG?"
Post by NJD
Could be wrong.
Me too! BYE!

--
Toucan, four can
Hey man jam / the Tou-Wang Clan
www.usaidit.org or www.YouSaidit.org
Nobody
2003-09-22 23:10:05 UTC
Post by Jack A. Zucker
Be careful what you say about guys in these groups! :-)
Well I certainly agree with that. In fact, I don't
think it's wise to ever criticize other musicians unless
they're doing something really unethical.
Believe it or not, but I think Jason was actually paying
Lane a compliment by picking him as representative of
someone whose playing he perceives to be unassailable.
I think that was his tongue-in-cheek point anyway.
Could be wrong.
--
Nick
It is absurd that I could even believe Shawn Lane would be terrible!
Nobody
2003-09-22 22:55:52 UTC
Post by Jack A. Zucker
Jason,
Are you trolling or serious about this? <snip>
He was kidding, Jack.
Regardless,
He should realize that Shawn Lane may read this post or someone may tell him
about it. Something like that is hurtful to a cat who's put so much of his
life into woodshedding.
I made a negative comment about a certain guitarist a few years back and
when the guy came to town, he asked folks if they knew me and that he was
"lookin' for me! My comment wasn't anything like this one, either...
Be careful what you say about guys in these groups! :-)
Jaz
Noted....pardon moi.
John Verkuilen
2003-09-23 13:38:21 UTC
Post by Nobody
Wow...thought he was good, but not really...what's the big deal, eh?
My killfilter ain't picking up the troll no more again. Go back under your
bridge and eat shit.

Jay
Robert Barker
2003-09-23 14:54:48 UTC
Post by John Verkuilen
Post by Nobody
Wow...thought he was good, but not really...what's the big deal, eh?
My killfilter ain't picking up the troll no more again. Go back under your
bridge and eat shit.
Jay
Keeping in mind that the comment from 'Nobody' (and I couldn't have picked a
better name for him if I'd tried...) comes from somebody who can't play
worth a shit, helps to put it all in perspective...If Mr. 'Nobody' put all
the time he spends here looking for imaginary 'insults', in inane gear
'discussions', or 'defending' his (mediocre) guitar 'heroes', into focused
'practice' he might be rather good, in a few more years...but, I don't see
that happening...He's basically an attention-seeking jerk-off who happens to
own a guitar...bottom line. ;+)
NJD
2003-09-23 15:25:40 UTC
Post by Robert Barker
Post by John Verkuilen
bridge and eat shit.
Jay
Keeping in mind that the comment from 'Nobody' (and I couldn't have picked a
better name for him if I'd tried...) comes from somebody who can't play
worth a shit, helps to put it all in perspective...If Mr. 'Nobody' put all
the time he spends here looking for imaginary 'insults', in inane gear
'discussions', or 'defending' his (mediocre) guitar 'heroes', into focused
'practice' he might be rather good, in a few more years...but, I don't see
that happening...He's basically an attention-seeking jerk-off who happens to
own a guitar...bottom line. ;+)
1) Jimmy Page was NOT a mediocre player.

2) He was kidding. It was sarcasm.

Lighten up guys.
Robert Barker
2003-09-23 15:56:45 UTC
Post by NJD
Post by Robert Barker
Post by John Verkuilen
bridge and eat shit.
Jay
Keeping in mind that the comment from 'Nobody' (and I couldn't have picked a
better name for him if I'd tried...) comes from somebody who can't play
worth a shit, helps to put it all in perspective...If Mr. 'Nobody' put all
the time he spends here looking for imaginary 'insults', in inane gear
'discussions', or 'defending' his (mediocre) guitar 'heroes', into focused
'practice' he might be rather good, in a few more years...but, I don't see
that happening...He's basically an attention-seeking jerk-off who happens to
own a guitar...bottom line. ;+)
1) Jimmy Page was NOT a mediocre player.
I think he was / is. So, obviously, we disagree on that point. So it goes.
Post by NJD
2) He was kidding. It was sarcasm.
Lighten up guys.
Give Polfus a break, huh? Like he gives other people? No thanks. He doesn't
deserve one.
NJD
2003-09-23 16:51:10 UTC
Post by Robert Barker
Post by NJD
1) Jimmy Page was NOT a mediocre player.
I think he was / is. So, obviously, we disagree on that point. So it goes.
Saying that Page was a mediocre player is beyond
ridiculous. It's insane and just plain wrong. He was
an awesome musician and artist -- one of the most
influential guitarists ever.

Anyone who seriously thinks he was mediocre is missing
something very big.

I can understand that though. For about 25 years, I
thought the Rolling Stones were just awful. I now
realize I was sadly mistaken and had, in fact, lost the
forest for the trees in my assessment.

I'm still not a Stones fan. However, I do now recognize
that they were an incredible band and that Richards was
a great and important musician.
Post by Robert Barker
Post by NJD
2) He was kidding. It was sarcasm.
Lighten up guys.
Give Polfus a break, huh? Like he gives other people? No thanks. He doesn't
deserve one.
Apparently there's a history of animosity here of which
I was previously unaware.

I understood his sarcasm immediately and agree that
saying Page was mediocre is as ridiculous as saying
Shawn Lane isn't any good. I mean come on.
Robert Barker
2003-09-23 17:06:41 UTC
Post by NJD
Post by Robert Barker
Post by NJD
1) Jimmy Page was NOT a mediocre player.
I think he was / is. So, obviously, we disagree on that point. So it goes.
Saying that Page was a mediocre player is beyond
ridiculous. It's insane and just plain wrong. He was
an awesome musician and artist -- one of the most
influential guitarists ever.
Nick, I certainly don't wamt to fight with you. But, I didn't label *your*
opnion as *insane*, now did I? Note that IMO, 'influential and artistic' !=
technical ability / proficiency. Neither does /////TONE\\\\\, or in some
peoples eyes, Billy Gibbons would be King of the World. I think Page was /
is a good player, so perhaps I should have stated it that way. Be that as
it may, I don't think he's a monster guitarist, in any sense of the word,
regardless of how 'influential' he was. We could argue this until the cows
come home, but, you're not likely to change your mind, and neither am I. So,
let's drop it, shall we?
Post by NJD
Anyone who seriously thinks he was mediocre is missing
something very big.
I can understand that though. For about 25 years, I
thought the Rolling Stones were just awful. I now
realize I was sadly mistaken and had, in fact, lost the
forest for the trees in my assessment.
A good example of what I meant, actually. The Stones are a classic case,
IMO, of the *band* being greater than the sum of it's parts.
Post by NJD
I'm still not a Stones fan. However, I do now recognize
that they were an incredible band and that Richards was
a great and important musician.
In the context of the *band*, I would agree with that.
Post by NJD
Post by Robert Barker
Post by NJD
2) He was kidding. It was sarcasm.
Lighten up guys.
Give Polfus a break, huh? Like he gives other people? No thanks. He doesn't
deserve one.
Apparently there's a history of animosity here of which
I was previously unaware.
Yeah. There is. I'd be lying if I denied it. For the record, I can't stand
the MF'er. But, it's not limited to just me, Nick.
Post by NJD
I understood his sarcasm immediately and agree that
saying Page was mediocre is as ridiculous as saying
Shawn Lane isn't any good. I mean come on.
Ok, he's a good guitarist, if that makes you happy. Technically speaking,
and 'artistic influence' aside, though, I stand by my comment.
Nobody
2003-09-23 17:40:32 UTC
Post by Robert Barker
Yeah. There is. I'd be lying if I denied it. For the record, I can't stand
the MF'er. But, it's not limited to just me, Nick.
People that hate me are usually assholes, and I always fight against scum like you.
howldog
2003-09-23 17:57:35 UTC
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:40:32 GMT, "Nobody"
Post by Nobody
People that hate me are usually assholes,
i guess that explains the self loathing part.
Post by Nobody
and I always fight against scum like you.
Polfii to the rescue! Put your Hand on the computer screen! HEAL!
HEAL!
Dan Stanley
2003-09-23 19:26:47 UTC
Post by Nobody
and I always fight against scum like you.
Polfii to the rescue! Put your Hand on the computer screen! HEAL!
HEAL!
You guys might be laughing, but I've *seen* Howldog's awesome cosmic power.
He can hold back the mighty waters! I've SEEN it, ma-an!

Dan
Atlas
2003-09-23 20:52:23 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Dan Stanley
You guys might be laughing, but I've *seen* Howldog's awesome cosmic power.
He can hold back the mighty waters! I've SEEN it, ma-an!
In other words, he can drink a 12 pack without breaking the
seal?

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Dan Stanley
2003-09-23 20:04:36 UTC
Post by Atlas
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Dan Stanley
You guys might be laughing, but I've *seen* Howldog's awesome cosmic power.
He can hold back the mighty waters! I've SEEN it, ma-an!
In other words, he can drink a 12 pack without breaking the
seal?
Not only that, he drink it without barking like a seal.

Dan
Atlas
2003-09-23 21:29:28 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Dan Stanley
Not only that, he drink it without barking like a seal.
After 12 beers, not only do I bark like a seal, but I also
swim through hoops, and balance beach balls on my nose.

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Robert Barker
2003-09-24 04:49:38 UTC
Post by Atlas
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Dan Stanley
You guys might be laughing, but I've *seen* Howldog's awesome cosmic power.
He can hold back the mighty waters! I've SEEN it, ma-an!
In other words, he can drink a 12 pack without breaking the
seal?
Nah...He meant Howl can drink a 12 pack, then do two sets before he has to
stop and take a whiz...Hence, 'holding back the mighty waters'! HTH!! ;+)
Post by Atlas
Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Atlas
2003-09-24 13:23:32 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 04:49:38 GMT, "Robert Barker"
Post by Robert Barker
Post by Atlas
In other words, he can drink a 12 pack without breaking the
seal?
Nah...He meant Howl can drink a 12 pack, then do two sets before he has to
stop and take a whiz...Hence, 'holding back the mighty waters'! HTH!! ;+)
Note to Robert: That's what breaking the seal means. (As in
the seal on your bladder). :)

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Robert Barker
2003-09-24 14:48:31 UTC
Post by Robert Barker
Post by Atlas
In other words, he can drink a 12 pack without breaking the
seal?
Nah...He meant Howl can drink a 12 pack, then do two sets before he has to
stop and take a whiz...Hence, 'holding back the mighty waters'! HTH!! ;+)
Note to Robert: That's what breaking the seal means. (As in
the seal on your bladder). :)
Atlas
--
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Oh. Shit. Well, you learn something new every day!! I'd never heard that
before....Thanks! I think.....Heh. ;+)
Robert Barker
2003-09-23 17:55:17 UTC
Post by Nobody
Post by Robert Barker
Yeah. There is. I'd be lying if I denied it. For the record, I can't stand
the MF'er. But, it's not limited to just me, Nick.
People that hate me are usually assholes, and I always fight against scum like you.
--
Jason
http://www.geocities.com/nobody_upstairs
How, exactly? By changing your screen name every couple months? LOL!! By
sucking Jacks dick? How? Whatever, Polly.....
Jack A. Zucker
2003-09-23 19:02:02 UTC
OK Mr. Kettle...
Nobody
2003-09-23 19:11:09 UTC
Post by Nobody
--
Jason
http://www.geocities.com/nobody_upstairs
How, exactly? By changing your screen name every couple months? LOL!! By
sucking Jacks dick? How? Whatever, Polly.....
Thank you for proving my point.
Atlas
2003-09-23 20:22:30 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

Post by Nobody
People that hate me are usually assholes,
You'll have to do better than that, Jason.
Post by Nobody
and I always fight against scum like you.
Sad.

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Atlas
2003-09-23 20:19:21 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:06:41 GMT, "Robert Barker"
Post by Robert Barker
Nick, I certainly don't wamt to fight with you. But, I didn't label *your*
opnion as *insane*, now did I? Note that IMO, 'influential and artistic' !=
technical ability / proficiency. Neither does /////TONE\\\\\, or in some
peoples eyes, Billy Gibbons would be King of the World. I think Page was /
is a good player, so perhaps I should have stated it that way. Be that as
it may, I don't think he's a monster guitarist, in any sense of the word,
regardless of how 'influential' he was. We could argue this until the cows
come home, but, you're not likely to change your mind, and neither am I. So,
let's drop it, shall we?
You'll have to do better than that, Robert.
Post by Robert Barker
A good example of what I meant, actually. The Stones are a classic case,
IMO, of the *band* being greater than the sum of it's parts.
That's sweet...really.
Post by Robert Barker
In the context of the *band*, I would agree with that.
Always with the *insulting* insults, my man.
Post by Robert Barker
Yeah. There is. I'd be lying if I denied it. For the record, I can't stand
the MF'er. But, it's not limited to just me, Nick.
Thanks for keeping it real.
Post by Robert Barker
Ok, he's a good guitarist, if that makes you happy. Technically speaking,
and 'artistic influence' aside, though, I stand by my comment.
You're beautiful.

Piece,

Atlasfus

"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Robert Barker
Is that a mexican poncho, or a *Sears* poncho?
NJD
2003-09-23 19:26:10 UTC
Post by Robert Barker
Ok, he's a good guitarist, if that makes you happy. Technically speaking,
and 'artistic influence' aside, though, I stand by my comment.
I took lessons from a guy for a while who, from a
strictly technical point of view, had some of the most
incredible chops I have ever heard. He was inhumanly
fast -- like Lane.

He was a jazz player, but also kicked ass playing blues.

Anyway, he had an enormous influence on me. What amazed
me was that he really didn't think much of most of the
shredder players out there and you certainly couldn't
accuse him of sour grapes because he was about as fast
and clean as they come.

Let's put it this way: He could have gone on stage with
Shawn Lane and not have had to worry about being smoked.
The guy had some friggin' chops and could have held his
own with anyone on the planet.

Anyway, I asked once whom he thought the greatest
guitarists of all time were and his answer really
surprised me because his list included Chuck Berry and
Keith Richards.

Taken aback, I asked him about some of the more jaw-
dropping shredders (I'd rather not name them here). And
he said, "let me tell you something, most of those guys
are really pretty crappy players."

He then said, "it all depends on what you mean by
'great.'"

That all made me realize that technique is part of the
means, not the end. It's just a tool. Some people have
piles of technique and never achieve greatness as a
player IMHO. Others have much less facility, but get
there anyway.

It's not about technique IMHO.

My teacher, BTW, thought Page was a really great player.
I asked him.
Don't forget to bring a TOWEL!
2003-09-23 19:43:27 UTC
Post by NJD
My teacher, BTW, thought Page was a really great player.
I asked him.
And then you shitcanned him...?

--
Toucan
Be heard. Spread the word.
www.usaidit.org or www.YouSaidit.org
NJD
2003-09-23 19:57:56 UTC
Post by Don't forget to bring a TOWEL!
Post by NJD
My teacher, BTW, thought Page was a really great player.
I asked him.
And then you shitcanned him...?
Shitcan the best all around player I've ever heard? I
don't think so.

I listened and thought, "yes master."
Atlas
2003-09-23 20:51:33 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by NJD
I took lessons from a guy for a while who, from a
strictly technical point of view, had some of the most
incredible chops I have ever heard. He was inhumanly
fast -- like Lane.
He was a jazz player, but also kicked ass playing blues.
Anyway, he had an enormous influence on me. What amazed
me was that he really didn't think much of most of the
shredder players out there and you certainly couldn't
accuse him of sour grapes because he was about as fast
and clean as they come.
A gunslinger who doesn't think much of other gunslingers.
That was very gunslinger of him.
Post by NJD
Let's put it this way: He could have gone on stage with
Shawn Lane and not have had to worry about being smoked.
The guy had some friggin' chops and could have held his
own with anyone on the planet.
Shawn Lane has some of the baddest chops of anyone in the
world. But it's the insane amount of musical depth that goes behind
the chops which is what impresses me. The guy's got knowledge that
easily rivals or exceeds that of a Ph.D musicologist.

It's not like Paul Gilbert who simply plays scale sequences up
and down at inhuman speeds. Lane's playing Charlie Parker
lines...then Debussy lines...then Schubert lines - all at inhuman
speeds. AND he's making it sound good.

It's inhuman, I'm tellin' ya! Now pass me that pizza.
Post by NJD
Anyway, I asked once whom he thought the greatest
guitarists of all time were and his answer really
surprised me because his list included Chuck Berry and
Keith Richards.
I'd say that they're certainly two of the most influential
guitarists in the rock-n-roll genre. But the word "greatest" is
subjective. And as such, your teacher was merely expressing his own
opinion. (Which is no more or less valid than yours or mine).
Post by NJD
Taken aback, I asked him about some of the more jaw-
dropping shredders (I'd rather not name them here). And
he said, "let me tell you something, most of those guys
are really pretty crappy players."
There has to be some kind of sniglet for this. A gunslinger
who bashes other gunslingers. Heh.

I studied under some of Pittsburgh's elite players. And one
of them - who's name will be witheld because he and I are still
friends...does this too. He makes goofy comments - being highly
critical of other players who have megachops. And it's
hypocrisy..only people don't make a point of telling him about it,
'cause we're usually too busy watching him kick ass. Heh.
Post by NJD
He then said, "it all depends on what you mean by
'great.'"
I think it means being able to ingest inhuman quantities of
drugs over the course of 4 decades, and still stand erect without the
assistance of a walker.
Post by NJD
That all made me realize that technique is part of the
means, not the end. It's just a tool. Some people have
piles of technique and never achieve greatness as a
player IMHO. Others have much less facility, but get
there anyway.
It's not about technique IMHO.
Technique isn't everything. But it's a VERY large component.
And anybody who thinks they don't need any facility either plays very
simple music, or is deluding themself.
Post by NJD
My teacher, BTW, thought Page was a really great player.
I asked him.
Good for your teacher.

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
NJD
2003-09-23 20:01:37 UTC
Post by Atlas
Shawn Lane has some of the baddest chops of anyone in the
world. But it's the insane amount of musical depth that goes behind
the chops which is what impresses me. The guy's got knowledge that
easily rivals or exceeds that of a Ph.D musicologist.
Lane was one of the few shredders my teacher liked.
Post by Atlas
Post by NJD
My teacher, BTW, thought Page was a really great player.
I asked him.
Good for your teacher.
Page was a great player. Anyone who doesn't think so is
seriously confused. That's *my* opinion.
Atlas
2003-09-23 22:19:37 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by NJD
Lane was one of the few shredders my teacher liked.
It's kind of hard to not like him.
Post by NJD
Page was a great player. Anyone who doesn't think so is
seriously confused. That's *my* opinion.
Hey I like Page. If you've noticed, I'm not the one bashing
him.

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
NJD
2003-09-23 21:27:57 UTC
Post by Atlas
x-no-archive: yes
Post by NJD
Lane was one of the few shredders my teacher liked.
It's kind of hard to not like him.
Well, one might conceivably object to his choice of
material. But hey! He earned those chops. He can play
whatever the hell he wants as far as I'm concerned,
whether it's a waste of his talent or not.
Post by Atlas
Post by NJD
Page was a great player. Anyone who doesn't think so is
seriously confused. That's *my* opinion.
Hey I like Page. If you've noticed, I'm not the one bashing
him.
I never can remember who I'm supposed to be mad at.
Dan Stanley
2003-09-23 21:48:04 UTC
Post by NJD
Post by Atlas
x-no-archive: yes
Post by NJD
Lane was one of the few shredders my teacher liked.
It's kind of hard to not like him.
Well, one might conceivably object to his choice of
material. But hey! He earned those chops. He can play
whatever the hell he wants as far as I'm concerned,
whether it's a waste of his talent or not.
That's pretty much how I look at any player who seems to be playing what he
wants when he wants the way he wants to, most of the time. Shawn Lane,
Johnny Ramone...it's all good. Now, I'm not saying that they are equally
skilled, just that they both get to do what they want, and good for them.
Post by NJD
Post by Atlas
Post by NJD
Page was a great player. Anyone who doesn't think so is
seriously confused. That's *my* opinion.
Hey I like Page. If you've noticed, I'm not the one bashing
him.
I never can remember who I'm supposed to be mad at.
"Them Damn Fat Cats in Warshington" always works for me.

Dan
Dan Stanley
2003-09-23 21:48:04 UTC
Post by Atlas
x-no-archive: yes
Post by NJD
Page was a great player. Anyone who doesn't think so is
seriously confused. That's *my* opinion.
Hey I like Page. If you've noticed, I'm not the one bashing
him.
Shit, son, that's why it's so good to see you agree with the advice I gave
you a damn month ago! How's your neck!

Dan
Not A Speck Of Cereal
2003-09-24 05:55:57 UTC
As "Dan Stanley" <***@verizon.net> so eloquently put:
[] >
[] > Hey I like Page. If you've noticed, I'm not the one bashing
[] > him.
[]
[] Shit, son, that's why it's so good to see you agree with the advice I gave
[] you a damn month ago! How's your neck!

The thing that is interesting to me is that while you constantly
repeat what I say, nothing you post is worth repeating.

SpeckFus

----
"...there would have been no Holdsworth or
Hendrix without the genius of Boxcar Willie"
-- Mark Garvin
Remove X's from my email address above to reply
[These opinions are personal views only and only my personal views]
ryanm
2003-09-23 23:35:04 UTC
Post by Atlas
Post by NJD
Lane was one of the few shredders my teacher liked.
It's kind of hard to not like him.
He does nothing for me. I guess I just don't get it. I'd rather hear two
notes that make me want to cry than a bazillion notes that are perfectly
placed and fit perfectly within whatever scale or whatever.

ryanm
Jack A. Zucker
2003-09-23 22:59:54 UTC
Post by ryanm
Post by Atlas
Post by NJD
Lane was one of the few shredders my teacher liked.
It's kind of hard to not like him.
He does nothing for me. I guess I just don't get it. I'd rather hear two
notes that make me want to cry than a bazillion notes that are perfectly
placed and fit perfectly within whatever scale or whatever.
Well, Slash does nothing for me so we're even. I'd rather hear someone who'd
dedicated to the art of music (Lane) as opposed to someone dedicated to the
art of partying (Slash) :-)

Jaz
Ron Thompson
2003-09-24 12:23:10 UTC
Post by Jack A. Zucker
Well, Slash does nothing for me so we're even. I'd rather hear someone who'd
dedicated to the art of music (Lane) as opposed to someone dedicated to the
art of partying (Slash) :-)
That art of partying used to be part of the art of the music.
--
rct
The opinions above are mine and mine alone.
howldog
2003-09-24 13:37:19 UTC
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:59:54 GMT, "Jack A. Zucker"
Post by Jack A. Zucker
Well, Slash does nothing for me so we're even. I'd rather hear someone who'd
dedicated to the art of music (Lane) as opposed to someone dedicated to the
art of partying (Slash) :-)
its all personal preference and purely subjective. Lane and Danny
Gatton and Landau and Satriani, are all amazing, and i listen to them
for a little bit, but after awhile, yeah, i'll wanna hear somebody
like Ronson or Ralphs or Richards.

Technical brilliant chops are great, and i wish i had them, to a
degree.
But thats not the only thing that interests me about music.
Robert Barker
2003-09-24 03:45:41 UTC
Post by Atlas
x-no-archive: yes
Post by NJD
Page was a great player. Anyone who doesn't think so is
seriously confused. That's *my* opinion.
Hey I like Page. If you've noticed, I'm not the one bashing
him.
Atlas
--
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
I'm not exactly bashing him, either. That wasn't really the point. If he (or
anyone else, for that matter) is someones 'hero', that's dandy with me. But
I say it's a stretch to call him a 'great guitar player', on the basis of
his Zep / Power Station, et al. output. I just don't hear it. Comes from
being 'seriously confused', I expect. ;+)
Robert Barker
2003-09-24 04:59:19 UTC
Post by Robert Barker
Post by Atlas
x-no-archive: yes
Post by NJD
Page was a great player. Anyone who doesn't think so is
seriously confused. That's *my* opinion.
Hey I like Page. If you've noticed, I'm not the one bashing
him.
Atlas
--
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
I'm not exactly bashing him, either. That wasn't really the point. If he (or
anyone else, for that matter) is someones 'hero', that's dandy with me. But
I say it's a stretch to call him a 'great guitar player', on the basis of
his Zep / Power Station, et al. output. I just don't hear it. Comes from
being 'seriously confused', I expect. ;+)
Oops!!! I thought Page was part of Power Station, at one time...My bad...I
looked it up...not even close!! Heh. I *must* be seriously confused!! ;+)
Robert Barker
2003-09-24 05:09:19 UTC
Post by Robert Barker
Post by Atlas
x-no-archive: yes
Post by NJD
Page was a great player. Anyone who doesn't think so is
seriously confused. That's *my* opinion.
Hey I like Page. If you've noticed, I'm not the one bashing
him.
Atlas
--
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
I'm not exactly bashing him, either. That wasn't really the point. If he (or
anyone else, for that matter) is someones 'hero', that's dandy with me. But
I say it's a stretch to call him a 'great guitar player', on the basis of
his Zep / Power Station, et al. output. I just don't hear it. Comes from
being 'seriously confused', I expect. ;+)
Yeah, that's me. Confused. I should have said 'The Firm', not 'Power
Station'...Please excuse me....I guess sometimes these things slip my mind,
after 19 years... I do like the name 'Power Station' better, though....;+)
Nobody
2003-09-23 21:43:23 UTC
Post by NJD
Post by Atlas
Post by NJD
My teacher, BTW, thought Page was a really great player.
I asked him.
Good for your teacher.
Page was a great player. Anyone who doesn't think so is
seriously confused. That's *my* opinion.
--
Nick
Seriously...dazed and confused.
J***@no.komm
2003-09-23 21:29:11 UTC
Post by Atlas
Technique isn't everything. But it's a VERY large component.
What is technique? Where does it come from? Where do the standards
come from?
Post by Atlas
And anybody who thinks they don't need any facility either plays very
simple music, or is deluding themself.
There are few, if any people who think you need no facility at all to
play an instrument. What most people who are seemingly "anti-technique"
are on about is obsession with technique, and/or the idea that you have
to learn a set list of existing, approved techniques to express
yourself.
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
<<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Nobody
2003-09-23 21:58:57 UTC
Post by Atlas
And anybody who thinks they don't need any facility either plays very
simple music, or is deluding themself.
There are few, if any people who think you need no facility at all to
play an instrument. What most people who are seemingly "anti-technique"
are on about is obsession with technique, and/or the idea that you have
to learn a set list of existing, approved techniques to express
yourself.
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
Post by Atlas
<<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Excellent post...well said as always.
Atlas
2003-09-24 04:17:13 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:58:57 GMT, "Nobody"
Post by J***@no.komm
Post by J***@no.komm
What is technique?
The ability to execute musical ideas - cleanly and accurately.
It's about having the physical skill to play whatever the music calls
for. It's the aspect of left and right hand chops - to be able to
play with speed, endurance and accuracy without fatigue and with
precise intonation.

It can also encompass such things as specialized techniques
(vibrato, sweep picking, tapping, artificial harmonics, bends, slurs,
slides, double stops, and others).
Post by J***@no.komm
Where does it come from?
Practicing.
Post by J***@no.komm
Post by J***@no.komm
Where do the standards
come from?
From currently existing players who've set high standards, and
have made great accomplishments with their facility on their
instruments. It also depends on which technique you're referring.
For sweep picking, Frank Gambale set the standard of excellence. For
alternate picking, it would probably be Al DiMeola, Steve Morse, or
Pat Martino.

For nylon string fingerstyle jazz, it would probably be Lenny
Breau. For jazz guitar - featuring octave solos...played with a
thumb, it would have to be Wes Montgomery. For classical guitar, it
would be Andres Segovia. For legato fusion, it would be Allan
Holdsworth. For contrapuntal fingerstyle jazz with simultaneous
walking basslines and comping, it would be Charlie Hunter and/or Tuck
Andress.

I can go on if you'd like.
Post by J***@no.komm
Post by J***@no.komm
There are few, if any people who think you need no facility at all to
play an instrument.
Your new sock puppet Polfus is one. There's also an entire
genre within rock which has a profoundly anti-technique aesthetic.
Obtain grunge knowledge.
Post by J***@no.komm
Post by J***@no.komm
What most people who are seemingly "anti-technique"
are on about is obsession with technique, and/or the idea that you have
to learn a set list of existing, approved techniques to express
yourself.
No, I don't buy that. That's actually a load of bullshit.
Most who are anti-technique are largely that way because they
themselves can't play, and compensate for it via sour grapes.
Post by J***@no.komm
Excellent post...well said as always.
This is nothing new. Sheehy disagrees with me. Polfus then
sticks his tongue up Sheehy's ass. (Which pretty much solidifies that
I'm right about the technique thing). ;)

Atlas

"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Nobody
2003-09-24 03:37:14 UTC
Post by Atlas
Post by J***@no.komm
Where does it come from?
Practicing.
When do you stop "practicing", and start making music?

Does it matter how many scales you know or how much theory you know if you can't use it or make music with others?
Post by Atlas
For jazz guitar - featuring octave solos...played with a thumb, it would have to be Wes Montgomery.
Wes didn't know much theory, taught himself to play guitar, and never ever took a lesson from anyone.

So it really all depends on the guitar player, doesn't it?
Atlas
2003-09-24 13:05:17 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 03:37:14 GMT, "Nobody"
Post by Nobody
When do you stop "practicing", and start making music?
That's a very interesting question. There could be a number
of ways to answer it.

1. You could view "practicing" and "making music" as one in the same.

2. You could view "practicing" and "making music" as two separate
entities.

And if #2 is your choice, then I would say it makes sense to
work on both. "Making music" could imply working on songs, riffs,
arrangements, etc.. (All of which are very good, very important
things). However, you need facility on your instrument in order to
execute the ideas you hear in your head. That's why practicing is
beneficial.

Additionally, you could be playing in a cover band - where
you're playing other people's music. So you need to have your chops
up to the point to where you're able to handle the original player's
ideas.

No matter how you look at it, practicing will make you a
better player AND better enable you to "make music".
Post by Nobody
Does it matter how many scales you know or how much theory you know if you can't use it or make music with others?
If you phrase it in such a leading manner - than the answer is
no.

On the other hand, if you phrase it in a more intelligent way,
such as:

"Does it matter how many scales you know or how much theory
you know"? - The answer to that is, yes. (IMO) The reason being,
because knowledge will only open doors for you. You will gain
absolutely nothing by being blind and ignorant.

And the second part of the question:

"Will having knowledge of scales and theory help you to make
music with others?" - The answeer to that is, yes. (IMO) Once again,
it can help you with soloing, comping, and understanding which notes
work and which ones don't (which help you - and the band to sound
better).

What I'm curious about is why you would spend so much energy
fighting me with this issue.
Post by Nobody
Wes didn't know much theory, taught himself to play guitar, and never ever took a lesson from anyone.
Wes practiced all day long - teaching himself Charlie
Christian solos off of records. So in that respect, his teacher was
Charlie Christian. And while he didn't formally study theory, he
listened to enough jazz - and had a very intuitive mind to the point
to where he absorbed the concepts, and was able to play very
harmonically advanced ideas. His grasp of chords, substitutions,
etc...was awesome.

But the main point of this - and one which you're (yet again)
missing - is that he got to where he got through practicing. And the
end result of that was that he developed a STANDARD of technique.
Post by Nobody
So it really all depends on the guitar player, doesn't it?
For what? Practicing? No.

Everybody will benefit from practicing. Everybody can benefit
from learning theory & harmony - and then learning how to apply it
onto their respected instruments.

You can feel free to thumb your nose at practicing, at
developing chops, and at aquiring theory/harmony knowledge. But don't
bitch and moan when you come to the realization that you absolutely
suck on guitar.

Hope that helped, princess.

NEXT!!!!!

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Ron Thompson
2003-09-24 12:51:22 UTC
Wes practiced all day long - teaching himself Charlie Christian solos off
of records. So in that respect, his teacher was
Charlie Christian. And while he didn't formally study theory, he listened
to enough jazz - and had a very intuitive mind to the point
to where he absorbed the concepts, and was able to play very harmonically
advanced ideas. His grasp of chords, substitutions,
etc...was awesome.
All true. The only problem I have with this kind of thinking is that it is
almost exclusively the thinking of jazzbos. Since Wes learned from
Christian, and as you say, "...he listened to enough jazz...", his seat of
the pants education is somehow legitimate. I would suggest that yer average
jazzbo would NEVER extend the same courtesy to...oh, Slash maybe, or some
other Rock Legend that simply listened to enough stuff to do the very same
thing as above, only not jazz.

Learn theory enough to understand WHY you do what you do instead of just
doing it because, and know enough of it to be dangerous. Don't leave things
to chance and at the same time don't stand up there sweating over the
harmonic qualities of the flatted 13th vs. the natural 11th in this next
diminished passage I am about to play. Either way will get you absolutely
nowhere, the path is in the middle somewhere.
Boom
2003-09-24 12:30:37 UTC
Post by Atlas
Post by Nobody
Does it matter how many scales you know or how much theory you know if you can't use it or make music with others?
I get a kick out of people who want to be good but don't really want
to learn. To them I always say, "What if you want to play something
but can't because you're in over your head?"
Post by Atlas
"Will having knowledge of scales and theory help you to make
music with others?" - The answeer to that is, yes. (IMO) Once again,
Of course it will. Nobody wants to hear you run scales and modes, but
if you know scales and modes, it can certainly prevent you from being
one-dimensional and average.
Post by Atlas
Post by Nobody
Wes didn't know much theory, taught himself to play guitar, and never ever took a lesson from anyone.
This is the argument I always love...the one flaw people forget when
they say things like this is YOU ARE NOT WES MONTGOMERY!
Post by Atlas
Post by Nobody
So it really all depends on the guitar player, doesn't it?
Hey, you want to play Sum 41 songs, you can learn enough to do that in
3 months. You want to play like Wes or Charlie Hunter, maybe you
should think about hitting the woodshed. On the other hand, you're
clearing a path for employment for guys who do practice, so maybe you
shouldn't practice and just get out of the way.
Nobody
2003-09-24 14:38:10 UTC
Post by Atlas
Post by Nobody
[...]
But you still failed to answer the qustion:

Post by Atlas
Does it matter how many scales you know or how much theory you know if you can't use it or make music with others?
If you phrase it in such a leading manner - than the answer is no.
Exactly.
Post by Atlas
"Does it matter how many scales you know or how much theory
you know"? - The answer to that is, yes. (IMO) The reason being,
because knowledge will only open doors for you. You will gain
absolutely nothing by being blind and ignorant.
"Will having knowledge of scales and theory help you to make
music with others?" - The answeer to that is, yes. (IMO) Once again,
it can help you with soloing, comping, and understanding which notes
work and which ones don't (which help you - and the band to sound
better).
You missed the point: it doesn't matter if you can't make MUSIC with it.
Post by Atlas
What I'm curious about is why you would spend so much energy fighting me with this issue.
I'm not fighting with you...I'm wondering when you make music, and when is enough "practice"?
Post by Atlas
Wes didn't know much theory, taught himself to play guitar, and never ever took a lesson from anyone.
Wes practiced all day long - teaching himself Charlie
Christian solos off of records. So in that respect, his teacher was
Charlie Christian. And while he didn't formally study theory, he
listened to enough jazz - and had a very intuitive mind to the point
to where he absorbed the concepts, and was able to play very
harmonically advanced ideas. His grasp of chords, substitutions,
etc...was awesome.
And the point is that he did it HIMSELF.

No lessons, teachers, books, etc..

So there are always exceptions to your rules.
Post by Atlas
But the main point of this - and one which you're (yet again)
missing - is that he got to where he got through practicing. And the
end result of that was that he developed a STANDARD of technique.
Listen, you need to get a clue, Kevin...I play all the time, and I don't callit "practicing", even though that's what it is.

I PLAY, use all I have learned, and try to make it all fit somehow.

A person can teach themselves, and it will NEVER depend on school, lessons, etc.
Post by Atlas
So it really all depends on the guitar player, doesn't it?
For what? Practicing? No.
No, for what they are able to accomplish on their own.
Post by Atlas
Everybody will benefit from practicing. Everybody can benefit
from learning theory & harmony - and then learning how to apply it
onto their respected instruments.
And again..when do you stop "practicing", and start making music?
Post by Atlas
You can feel free to thumb your nose at practicing, at developing chops, and at aquiring theory/harmony knowledge.
Kevin, I have never done that...you are confused if you think that.
Post by Atlas
But don't bitch and moan when you come to the realization that you absolutely suck on guitar.
Hope that helped, princess.
NEXT!!!!!
About as much as a quack chiro back cracking.

Later,
Jason
howldog
2003-09-24 13:48:03 UTC
Post by Nobody
When do you stop "practicing", and start making music?
how can you even distinguish between the two? How is that possible?

When you put your fingers on the guitar frets, and strike a note, what
comes out? Hot lava? Computer print outs of various elektromagnetic
spectrum analysis of grain misdirection?

When i play the guitar, i get the sound of notes. Sound of notes =
music, at least in some capacity.
Atlas
2003-09-24 15:15:43 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:48:03 -0400, howldog
Post by howldog
how can you even distinguish between the two? How is that possible?
When you put your fingers on the guitar frets, and strike a note, what
comes out? Hot lava? Computer print outs of various elektromagnetic
spectrum analysis of grain misdirection?
When i play the guitar, i get the sound of notes. Sound of notes =
music, at least in some capacity.
Ha! Hot damn, son - that's some fine logic you've used to
corner Polfus. He's a gonner now. How's your neck?

Piece,

Atlasfus
http://www.geocities.com/cbpdoc/DiscHerniation_Main.html
NJD
2003-09-24 13:58:48 UTC
Post by Atlas
Post by J***@no.komm
What most people who are seemingly "anti-technique"
are on about is obsession with technique, and/or the idea that you have
to learn a set list of existing, approved techniques to express
yourself.
No, I don't buy that. That's actually a load of bullshit.
Most who are anti-technique are largely that way because they
themselves can't play, and compensate for it via sour grapes.
Maybe most, but *NOT* all.

My technique is pretty good for an amateur and I don't
think it's important at all. My last teacher could blow
away almost anyone and he didn't think it was very
important. When he played, you'd have to listen for
quite a while before you realized he was a speed
monster. Most of his solos were smooth and melodic.
Few required great speed. Of course when the moment
called for speed, it was quite exciting. That's the
ultimate IMHO: a guy who can play as beautifully either
slow or fast. Very, very few players can do that.

Some of the worst players around have incredible
technique. Don't ask me to mention names, because I
don't believe in criticizing other musicians publicly,
no matter how dreadfully boring they are.

Technique matters very little. Creativity and passion
are SO much more important that technique hardly even
enters the picture.

It's only one tool among many and of all the tools
available, it's one of the least important IMO. You
need a minimal amount of facility to express yourself.
Anything beyond that is usually just gravy. When
technique becomes an end in itself, your music will
definitely suck despite the fact that many musicians who
don't understand music at all will appreciate the chops.
Robert Barker
2003-09-24 04:06:07 UTC
Post by NJD
Post by Robert Barker
[...]
Nick, I know what you're saying. Believe me. And, yes. Your teacher had it
exactly right. 'It all depends on what you mean by "great".' FWIW, I think
Keef is the nuts, *in* the Stones. It's a perfect fit. They wouldn't be what
they are without him. Heh. Now, can we just agree to disagree on 'great',
finally? ;+)
NJD
2003-09-24 14:25:32 UTC
Post by Robert Barker
Nick, I know what you're saying. Believe me. And, yes. Your teacher had it
exactly right. 'It all depends on what you mean by "great".' FWIW, I think
Keef is the nuts, *in* the Stones. It's a perfect fit. They wouldn't be what
they are without him. Heh. Now, can we just agree to disagree on 'great',
finally? ;+)
Okay, but I think my definition is more important and
meaningful in the context of what music is and how it
functions in human culture. As my good friend Bobby
Melpignano always says, "it's the feel, man. It's all
about the feel."

Unfortunately, Bobby often feels rather frenetic. Check
out a 1991 recording of his at
http://cultv.com/music/bands/psychologic/dreamexpress.ht
m if you've got a minute. Ah, youthful angst! ;-)

Anyway, it is all too easy for musicians to lose the
forest for the trees and many do IMHO.
Robert Barker
2003-09-24 15:12:46 UTC
Post by NJD
Post by Robert Barker
Nick, I know what you're saying. Believe me. And, yes. Your teacher had it
exactly right. 'It all depends on what you mean by "great".' FWIW, I think
Keef is the nuts, *in* the Stones. It's a perfect fit. They wouldn't be what
they are without him. Heh. Now, can we just agree to disagree on 'great',
finally? ;+)
Okay, but I think my definition is more important and
meaningful in the context of what music is and how it
functions in human culture. As my good friend Bobby
Melpignano always says, "it's the feel, man. It's all
about the feel."
And I agree with the 'feel' sentiment....what it is for me I guess, is, that
as my tastes have changed, I find myself listening to Humble Pie, Led Z,
early Beck, etc. more from a nostalgic perspective than anything...They
don't really 'wow' me, like they did back then, or at least not as often...I
still enjoy them, when I do listen, though, and they bring back some great
memories...so, I guess it's all good, eh? ;+)
Post by NJD
m if you've got a minute. Ah, youthful angst! ;-)
I did....I would have arranged it a little differently, is the first thing
that occurred to me....Heh...But, frenetic is certainly an apt
description...;+)
Post by NJD
Anyway, it is all too easy for musicians to lose the
forest for the trees and many do IMHO.
Or, perhaps they move to a different part of the 'forest'...;+)
NJD
2003-09-24 15:25:25 UTC
Post by NJD
m if you've got a minute. Ah, youthful angst! ;-)
I did....I would have arranged it a little differently, is the first thing
that occurred to me....Heh...But, frenetic is certainly an apt
description...;+)
Well just so I don't get in trouble, I should point out
that Bobby has matured a lot as a musician since then.
He's a full time guitar teacher up in Boston these days.

We keep talking about trying to get together to put out
a CD. He has even written all the material already.
But he's got kids, I've got kids, and, well, it's tough
to get anything arranged let alone done. Don't know if
it'll ever happen.

But I'm not selling my studio equipment just yet.

Hope reigns eternal. ;-)
Robert Barker
2003-09-24 15:35:37 UTC
Post by NJD
Post by NJD
m if you've got a minute. Ah, youthful angst! ;-)
I did....I would have arranged it a little differently, is the first thing
that occurred to me....Heh...But, frenetic is certainly an apt
description...;+)
Well just so I don't get in trouble, I should point out
that Bobby has matured a lot as a musician since then.
He's a full time guitar teacher up in Boston these days.
That's great! I do envy guys who can do what they love for a living...I
enjoy my job, actually, but if I could play full time, and still make a
decent living, well, that'd be the cats whiskers, IMO.
Post by NJD
We keep talking about trying to get together to put out
a CD. He has even written all the material already.
But he's got kids, I've got kids, and, well, it's tough
to get anything arranged let alone done. Don't know if
it'll ever happen.
If it does happen, I'd like to be one of the first customers...
Post by NJD
But I'm not selling my studio equipment just yet.
Hopefully, never, unless it's for upgrades...
Post by NJD
Hope reigns eternal. ;-)
Ain't it the troof.....;+)
Nobody
howldog
2003-09-23 16:21:55 UTC
Polfus is the little boy who cried */////TONE\\\\* too many times.
Robert Barker
2003-09-23 16:51:16 UTC
Heh. You nailed it. ;+)
NJD
2003-09-23 16:52:30 UTC
Post by howldog
Post by NJD
2) He was kidding. It was sarcasm.
Lighten up guys.
Polfus is the little boy who cried */////TONE\\\\* too many times.
I'm unaware of the history. I'm pretty selective in the
threads I read. I kill threads as soon as the flaming
starts usually.
Dan Stanley
2003-09-23 19:26:47 UTC
Post by howldog
Post by NJD
2) He was kidding. It was sarcasm.
Lighten up guys.
Polfus is the little boy who cried */////TONE\\\\* too many times.
HAHAHA! GOod one! Shit, son, that is some damn funny stuff, indeed!
How's your neck?

Dan
Atlas
2003-09-23 20:55:04 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Dan Stanley
HAHAHA! GOod one! Shit, son, that is some damn funny stuff, indeed!
How's your neck?
I'm dead.

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Dan Stanley
2003-09-23 20:04:36 UTC
Post by Atlas
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Dan Stanley
HAHAHA! GOod one! Shit, son, that is some damn funny stuff, indeed!
How's your neck?
I'm dead.
We could put you on damn wheels and roll you around! Thanks for taking my
advice! Email me right back, so I know you read this email!

Dan
Atlas
2003-09-23 21:30:41 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Dan Stanley
We could put you on damn wheels and roll you around! Thanks for taking my
advice! Email me right back, so I know you read this email!
Please have mercy! I beg of you. I have only one lung
left...and you're slowly excising the upper lobe.

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
ryanm
2003-09-23 23:36:39 UTC
Post by Dan Stanley
Post by Atlas
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Dan Stanley
HAHAHA! GOod one! Shit, son, that is some damn funny stuff, indeed!
How's your neck?
I'm dead.
We could put you on damn wheels and roll you around! Thanks for taking my
advice! Email me right back, so I know you read this email!
You could write a book of that and I'd read the whole thing, if I
survived that long. : )

ryanm
Nobody
Jack A. Zucker
2003-09-23 16:41:22 UTC
How's that any different from anyone else on here? :-)
Nobody
2003-09-23 17:37:30 UTC
Post by Robert Barker
own a guitar...bottom line. ;+)
How's that any different from anyone else on here? :-)
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Atlas
2003-09-23 20:20:12 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:37:30 GMT, "Nobody"
Post by Nobody
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sad.

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Don Evans
2003-09-23 17:48:00 UTC
Post by Jack A. Zucker
Post by Robert Barker
own a guitar...bottom line. ;+)
How's that any different from anyone else on here? :-)
Some of us are information-seeking jerk-offs. :-)

Don
Atlas
2003-09-23 20:24:30 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Don Evans
Post by Robert Barker
He's basically an attention-seeking jerk-off who
happens to own a guitar
Some of us are information-seeking jerk-offs. :-)
Some of us actually PLAY the guitar too. (That's probably the
most glaring difference between Polfus and the rest of us).

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Dan Stanley
2003-09-23 19:26:47 UTC
Post by Jack A. Zucker
Post by Robert Barker
own a guitar...bottom line. ;+)
How's that any different from anyone else on here? :-)
Most of aren't wearing pants.

Dan
Dan Stanley
2003-09-23 19:26:46 UTC
Post by Robert Barker
Post by John Verkuilen
bridge and eat shit.
Jay
Keeping in mind that the comment from 'Nobody' (and I couldn't have picked a
better name for him if I'd tried...) comes from somebody who can't play
worth a shit, helps to put it all in perspective...If Mr. 'Nobody' put all
the time he spends here looking for imaginary 'insults', in inane gear
'discussions', or 'defending' his (mediocre) guitar 'heroes', into focused
'practice' he might be rather good, in a few more years...but, I don't see
that happening...He's basically an attention-seeking jerk-off who happens to
own a guitar...bottom line. ;+)
"Nobody"s least favorite person du jour ( du millennia, probably), Atlas,
happens to like Shawn Lane a whole lot.
So, "Nobody" ( if that is his real name) ( it's not) ( my people call him
'Polfus'), just as part of doing that thing he does, just *hadda* write that
new header, "Shawn Lane Really Does Suck". And he ( Polfus, I mean) really
meant it.

BUT, then JAZ said he liked Shawn Lane. That puts Polfus ( which is not his
real name, but it is who he is) in an awkward spot, because he ( Polfus, I
mean) feels some sort of pathological need to agree with JAZ ( which to him
[ "him" being, of course, Polfus] is the same thing as getting JAZ to agree
with him, which is a very weird aspect of that thing Polfus does).

So then, Polfus ( which, we've established, is who he is) has to do this
awkward sort of backpedaling thing, saying he was obviously joking, tongue
in cheek and all. Although we all know that that sort of thing ( tongue in
cheek type humor, I mean) isn't the sort of thing Polfus is capable of.

So, to sum up, Polfus REALLY didn't like Shawn Lane, whether or not he ever
heard him, simply because Atlas DOES, but then, because JAZ DOES, Polfus
DOES too, and will probably crow in a few months about "turning JAZ on to
Shawn Lane" is this kinda fashion:

"HAHAHA! Good one! And I'm glad to see you took my advice indeed about Shawn
Lane! Damn, son, he can play that guitar! How's your neck!"

It's tough being Polfus. I'm glad I'm not.

Dan
Teddy Salad
2003-09-23 20:14:13 UTC
The one and only, all-seeing and all-knowing, Danley "Dan" Stanley
Post by Dan Stanley
Post by Robert Barker
Post by Robert Barker
[...]
Well played, old bean. Brilliant stuff, that. You've managed to get
to the core, the very *nub*, if you will.

Well done, iNdEeD!!
Post by Dan Stanley
It's tough being Polfus. I'm glad I'm not.
This would make an even better tattoo than howldog's "Tone Is
Overrated".

ts
toneguru_uk-at-yahoo-dot-com
Richard
2003-09-23 21:10:29 UTC
Post by Teddy Salad
The one and only, all-seeing and all-knowing, Danley "Dan" Stanley
Nice "Eye of Mordor" content.
Clark '04.
Dan Stanley
2003-09-23 21:17:35 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by Teddy Salad
The one and only, all-seeing and all-knowing, Danley "Dan" Stanley
Nice "Eye of Mordor" content.
I'm not TOTALLY evil. In fact, I'm really quite a nice fellow, once you get
to know me.
Here, have this palantir, and a lovely ring. I give them to all my friends.

I'll be in touch.

Dan
howldog
i wouldnt touch you with a ten foot polish pickle.
Robert Barker
2003-09-24 03:59:24 UTC
Post by Dan Stanley
Post by Richard
Post by Teddy Salad
The one and only, all-seeing and all-knowing, Danley "Dan" Stanley
Nice "Eye of Mordor" content.
I'm not TOTALLY evil. In fact, I'm really quite a nice fellow, once you get
to know me.
Here, have this palantir, and a lovely ring. I give them to all my friends.
I'll be in touch.
Dan
You're fekking priceless, Stanley. That's what. In a twisted, evil (but,
nice!) way.....Heh. ;+)
Atlas
2003-09-23 20:56:00 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Dan Stanley
[...]
I hereby nominate this post for the "Big Gay Wood" of the year
award.

Atlas
"I don't do drugs, I am drugs" - Salvador Dali
Billy_McCormick
2003-09-23 21:30:03 UTC
Post by Dan Stanley
"HAHAHA! Good one! And I'm glad to see you took my advice indeed about Shawn
Lane! Damn, son, he can play that guitar! How's your neck!"
I just laughed so hard i dropped a turd on a manhole cover.
You arent you, you are me. Deal with it.
Don Evans

Dan
Robert Barker
2003-09-24 06:17:57 UTC
Post by Dan Stanley
Post by Robert Barker
Post by Dan Stanley
Post by Robert Barker
[...]
Point taken (well, not really *taken*, you understand. More like 'observed')
I suppose you're thinking, at this point, 'Maybe he didn't get *all* of
it??!' Maybe not, but I (I, meaning myself, of course) think so. ;+)
So, anyway,
I think I'm
going to
start
posting like
this
from now
on. ;+)
Nobody
2003-09-23 17:33:14 UTC
My
Go fuck yourself, Jay...and then shut up with your bitching.
Atlas

John Verkuilen
2003-09-24 14:38:02 UTC
Post by Nobody
Go fuck yourself, Jay...and then shut up with your bitching.
Sad.
What's sad is that asshole won't keep fucked off. I really WANT to
ignore him. A lot of people really want to ignore him but constant
name changes indicate he really wants us to get his bile and shit.

Of course with a name like "Nobody Upstairs" I think there really
isn't more to say. :)

My Usenet access will go away due to university computer changes. While
there are a lot of people I will miss, Pollfie is NOT one of them.

Jay
Atlas
2003-09-24 15:12:50 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by John Verkuilen
What's sad is that asshole won't keep fucked off. I really WANT to
ignore him. A lot of people really want to ignore him but constant
name changes indicate he really wants us to get his bile and shit.
What, and miss all this comedy?
Post by John Verkuilen
Of course with a name like "Nobody Upstairs" I think there really
isn't more to say. :)
I think he was attempting to do some self-deprecating humor.
Unfortunately, it backfired on him - because it was too accurate to
actually be funny.
Post by John Verkuilen
My Usenet access will go away due to university computer changes. While
there are a lot of people I will miss, Pollfie is NOT one of them.
That sucks. I'm sure there's always a way around it. If I
know anything, it's that people will always find a way to get around
doing their work, and looking for fun distractions. <G>

Atlas
http://www.geocities.com/cbpdoc/DiscHerniation_Main.html
Not A Speck Of Cereal
2003-09-24 05:58:43 UTC
As "Nobody" <***@DELETEaol.com> so eloquently put:
[] John Verkuilen <***@s.psych.uiuc.edu> wrote in article <h1Ybb.3342$***@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>...
[]
[] > My
[]
[] Go fuck yourself, Jay...and then shut up with your bitching.

Wait... I just have to clear this up. If he shuts up with his bitching
first, does he still have to fuck himself?

----
John Verkuilen
2003-09-24 14:41:14 UTC
Post by Not A Speck Of Cereal
Wait... I just have to clear this up. If he shuts up with his bitching
first, does he still have to fuck himself?
Only if Pollfie loans me his 14" rubber cock!

Jay
Atlas
2003-09-24 15:14:01 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by John Verkuilen
Only if Pollfie loans me his 14" rubber cock!
He's got to get it back from his mom first.

Atlas
--
http://www.geocities.com/cbpdoc/DiscHerniation_Main.html