Does a strap tied to the headstock damage the neck of a guitar?
Ottavio Caruso
2023-09-04 09:36:13 UTC
I recently bought a cheap Harley Benton tenor guitar.

As you can see from picture:

screwing a button on the back is not smooth, as the end of the neck is
not flat.

If I tie the strap to the headstock, would that cause damage to the neck
in the long run?

Alternatively, where would you fit a button? (Please see pic above, the
end of the neck is pointed, not flat)
Ottavio Caruso
gtr
2023-09-07 05:02:41 UTC
https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/_35/354507/15621770_800.jpg
screwing a button on the back is not smooth, as the end of the neck is
not flat.
If I tie the strap to the headstock, would that cause damage to the neck
in the long run?
Alternatively, where would you fit a button? (Please see pic above, the
end of the neck is pointed, not flat)
No it won't hurt the neck. I see that when I was a kid, I played with a strap
like that for many years--I've seen it in old pictures.

Where to drill a whole at the heel of the neck where it joins the body? Where
the luthier who does the work for you says it will work best.
Ottavio Caruso
2023-09-07 11:12:09 UTC
Post by gtr
Where to drill a whole at the heel of the neck where it joins the body? Where
the luthier who does the work for you says it will work best
I paid £160 for the guitar. A luthier would charge probably half as that.
Ottavio Caruso
gtr
2023-09-08 02:40:23 UTC
On Sep 7, 2023 at 4:12:09 AM PDT, "Ottavio Caruso"
Post by Ottavio Caruso
Post by gtr
Where to drill a whole at the heel of the neck where it joins the body? Where
the luthier who does the work for you says it will work best
I paid £160 for the guitar. A luthier would charge probably half as that.
In that case, do whatever seems dollar-wise, which would be a tie-on guitar
strap as in days of old.

It's such a minor thing, boring a whole to put a pin in, I'd think my guitar
tech would do it while I wait and gallantly refuse payment, lthen try to
hustle me out of his workshop before I start him swapping tales.

It serves one well to have have a regular guitar guy.