Music Man Axis necks
PRS GEEK
2005-07-23 20:55:18 UTC
These necks, or even EVH necks fit my hands well. I'm wondering if anyone
knows of another guitar with a similar neck (size and feel)... I'd probably
go for an Axis, but the trem models have a Floyd which I don't think I can
deal with again, plus you can't pull up with that trem on that guitar.

Anyone with experience with Axis Sports? They use a traditional style trem
and no locking nut. It appears the necks are the same specs as an Axis. True
or not?

Are the pups in the Sport decent? I need coil splitting options because I
probably would seek a H/H configuration.

Jeff
Nil
2005-07-23 21:03:47 UTC
Post by PRS GEEK
These necks, or even EVH necks fit my hands well. I'm wondering if
anyone knows of another guitar with a similar neck (size and
feel)... I'd probably go for an Axis, but the trem models have a
Floyd which I don't think I can deal with again, plus you can't
pull up with that trem on that guitar.
A friend of mine has a MM Silhouette Special, kind of a Strat clone.
The neck is to die for. His has 3 single-coil pickups, but I think they
come in a variety of pickup combinations, including some with hummers.
PRS GEEK
2005-07-23 22:20:42 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by PRS GEEK
These necks, or even EVH necks fit my hands well. I'm wondering if
anyone knows of another guitar with a similar neck (size and
feel)... I'd probably go for an Axis, but the trem models have a
Floyd which I don't think I can deal with again, plus you can't
pull up with that trem on that guitar.
A friend of mine has a MM Silhouette Special, kind of a Strat clone.
The neck is to die for. His has 3 single-coil pickups, but I think they
come in a variety of pickup combinations, including some with hummers.
But is it the same neck that's on the Axis? I've played Silhoutte necks
before, but don't remember if they are the same as the EVH or Axis.

Jeff
Nil
2005-07-23 23:03:13 UTC
Post by PRS GEEK
But is it the same neck that's on the Axis? I've played Silhoutte
necks before, but don't remember if they are the same as the EVH
or Axis.
That I don't know - I've only played an Axis in passing but didn't
get to really check it out. However, just about all the MMs I've
played felt really really nice. I think the Silhouette has a shorter
scale than does Fender, so it had a bit more of a Gibson feel to it. I
think I would enjoy having one.
Don Evans
2005-07-24 06:09:16 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by PRS GEEK
But is it the same neck that's on the Axis? I've played Silhoutte
necks before, but don't remember if they are the same as the EVH
or Axis.
That I don't know - I've only played an Axis in passing but didn't
get to really check it out. However, just about all the MMs I've
played felt really really nice. I think the Silhouette has a shorter
scale than does Fender, so it had a bit more of a Gibson feel to it. I
think I would enjoy having one.
According to the Ernie Ball site, the Silhouette has the "normal" Fender
scale length, 25.5". Very cool necks indeed! Very different feel from
Fenders, IMO. Probably has something to do with the neck profile.

Don
PRS GEEK
2005-07-24 16:02:46 UTC
Post by Don Evans
According to the Ernie Ball site, the Silhouette has the "normal" Fender
scale length, 25.5". Very cool necks indeed! Very different feel from
Fenders, IMO. Probably has something to do with the neck profile.
I do like the neck profiles on them. But the Axis neck in general is the
whip for my style and hand size, etc... I just don't want a stop tail, but I
can't do the Floyd either.

Jeff
Don Evans
2005-07-25 04:18:55 UTC
Post by Don Evans
scale length, 25.5". Very cool necks indeed! Very different feel from
Fenders, IMO. Probably has something to do with the neck profile.
I do like the neck profiles on them. But the Axis neck in general is the
whip for my style and hand size, etc... I just don't want a stop tail, but I
can't do the Floyd either.
Jeff
The Axis Super Sport can be ordered with humbucking pickups ... and it comes
with a "vintage" trem.

...tell 'em I sent you. ;-)

Don
PRS GEEK
2005-07-25 12:56:52 UTC
Post by Don Evans
The Axis Super Sport can be ordered with humbucking pickups ... and it comes
with a "vintage" trem.
...tell 'em I sent you. ;-)
Yeah man... I've been to the site and I'm looking at those too. Just
trying to figure why the SS is so much less. I gotta have the geetar stay in
tune. I rarely get a chance to tune because we never stop playing.

--
Jeff

http://www.tinyurl.com/clj8g
Avenger
2005-07-27 14:53:04 UTC
No binding on the Sport, no cool paint job, no full trem, that's why
they're less. All Axis' have locking tuners.

AV.
PRS GEEK
2005-07-27 16:05:11 UTC
Post by Avenger
No binding on the Sport, no cool paint job, no full trem, that's why
they're less. All Axis' have locking tuners.
So, that's it though? I mean, I don't care about binding or paint and I
don't really want the Floyd because you can't pull up.

Interesting. Appreciate the info.

Jeff
C***@hotmail.com
2005-07-25 13:58:20 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by PRS GEEK
But is it the same neck that's on the Axis? I've played Silhoutte
necks before, but don't remember if they are the same as the EVH
or Axis.
That I don't know - I've only played an Axis in passing but didn't
get to really check it out. However, just about all the MMs I've
played felt really really nice. I think the Silhouette has a shorter
scale than does Fender, so it had a bit more of a Gibson feel to it. I
think I would enjoy having one.
25.5 inch scale, same as Fender Strat/Tele. 10" fretboard radius,
compared to 9.5" Fender American Standard (or 7.25 vintage Fender).

Check the web-site for details:

http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/specs/
Mark
2005-08-04 03:05:58 UTC
I have a MM Silhouette Special. The neck was the clincher
in the decision. Beautiful non - locking tremelo that I seldom use.
(I grew out of my EVH Vai phase), SSH pickups, locking machines.
Best sounding/playing guitar I've ever owned (I've had lots).
The only other guitar I'd buy would be another MM Silhouette Special.
Mark
Aus
Nil
2005-08-04 03:14:42 UTC
Post by Mark
I have a MM Silhouette Special. The neck was the clincher
in the decision. Beautiful non - locking tremelo that I seldom
use. (I grew out of my EVH Vai phase), SSH pickups, locking
machines. Best sounding/playing guitar I've ever owned (I've had
lots). The only other guitar I'd buy would be another MM
Silhouette Special. Mark
My only niggle about my friend's Silhouette Special is the pickups.
They sound good, but kind of... mild. Played side by side with his
Strats (he has several), the MM lacked the bite and output of the best
of the others. I suppose you can amplify it to bring more of that out.

Do you notice this with your Silhouette? That the pickups are slightly
wimpy?
Mark
2005-08-04 14:12:30 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by Mark
I have a MM Silhouette Special. The neck was the clincher
in the decision. Beautiful non - locking tremelo that I seldom
use. (I grew out of my EVH Vai phase), SSH pickups, locking
machines. Best sounding/playing guitar I've ever owned (I've had
lots). The only other guitar I'd buy would be another MM
Silhouette Special. Mark
My only niggle about my friend's Silhouette Special is the pickups.
They sound good, but kind of... mild. Played side by side with his
Strats (he has several), the MM lacked the bite and output of the best
of the others. I suppose you can amplify it to bring more of that out.
Do you notice this with your Silhouette? That the pickups are slightly
wimpy?
I wouldn't call it wimpy. I'm not looking for a super hot output though.
I can't really fault the tone of the guitar. I have a Ibanez RG something
(lock down etc) that has Seymours and I don't beleive it's any
"hotter" than the MM. I've not found the MM lacking so I've never considered
pickup replacement. I basically don't touch the Ibanez since I've had the MM
but that's not surprising. I really notice the way the lockdown affects the
notes so I find it annoying to play. The MM is just really well finished and
the neck (my first maple fingerboard) just feels unbelievably comfortable.
All the other guitars have had fairly similar necks and the MM is really
different. It's sort of narrow across but chunky in depth.
Mark
Aus

Avenger
2005-07-27 14:49:28 UTC
Post by PRS GEEK
These necks, or even EVH necks fit my hands well. I'm wondering if anyone
knows of another guitar with a similar neck (size and feel)... I'd probably
go for an Axis, but the trem models have a Floyd which I don't think I can
deal with again, plus you can't pull up with that trem on that guitar.
Anyone with experience with Axis Sports? They use a traditional style trem
and no locking nut. It appears the necks are the same specs as an Axis. True
or not?
Are the pups in the Sport decent? I need coil splitting options because I
probably would seek a H/H configuration.
Jeff
All the ones I have played had the same neck. Which is as good a neck as
you'll ever see on any guitar. I have(had) a Sport converted to H/H
which I gladly would have let you borrow but... it got stolen from the
guitar shop next door last weekend. I had it on consignment for a mere
$500 because it just sat around and collected dust most days.
Problem is, if you play a LP or even PRS, the Axis is general seem to
not sustain well compared to what you're probably used to playing.
And... something was weird about the output sound in general. It's wish
to sound "half strat" seem to have affected it's output in general. With
same pickups was never as "loud" as my LP and wouldn't distort as much
either. It's an "ok" guitar.

AV.
PRS GEEK
2005-07-27 16:12:20 UTC
Post by Avenger
Post by PRS GEEK
[...]
Interesting tho... The sustain may have something to do with the bolt neck,
maybe? I suppose you could swap pups but that's just a PITA and costs more
$$, and then you get into that pup hell, etc... The neck thru PRSii sustain
pretty well I guess, but the bolt on's are a little rough around the edges
when it comes to that.

I looked on Warmoth site for that neck and didn't see one. At least I could
have put one together, but I could get a good used Axis for what I'd have in
a Warmoth guitar.

What I'd really like is an Axis I could pull them up with. Someone could do
a recessed cavity on it, but then the thing is worthless.

I could "probably" order one from MM, but that would cost a mint and I don't
need a new geetar anyway. Used would be fine.

Jeff
Avenger
2005-07-27 16:44:30 UTC
I doubt there is one because... The big deal with those when they were
called Van Halens was the Drop D knob. After 96 (or so) they were named
Axis. Never seen a full trem. Not even the Wolfgang has it.

AV.
PRS GEEK
2005-07-27 16:56:00 UTC
Post by Avenger
I doubt there is one because... The big deal with those when they were
called Van Halens was the Drop D knob. After 96 (or so) they were named
Axis. Never seen a full trem. Not even the Wolfgang has it.
Good point. You can't have a floating tailpiece and use the D Tuna at the
same time.

Jeff